Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Unfathomable

Sometimes you do get the stupid questions. Sometimes you are prepared and you deal with it. No biggie.
But the other day I was organising the Dark Horse Japanese manga section when this man in a business suit stops me.
"Excuse me, can you recommend a title for me?" He says adjusting his pink silk tie.
"Sure, what genre are you looking for?" I stop and give him my best fake smile. Well at least he doesn't smell like a compost heap, I inwardly sigh.
"Anything from Ancient Modern Japan?"
I open my mouth to rudely say "What?" but luckly I manage to stop myself.
"Well...I am unsure what you mean..." I rectify and say out loud.
He rubs his hands heavily on his chin and mouth while scanning the manga titles.
"Anything that has blood and violence, really heavy stuff set in Modern Japan, but I heard that the Samurai stories are the best in that genre right?"
I frown. Were you dropped as a child?
"What about.." I grab a random title from behind me, and quickly glance at the title. "Old Boy? It it set in modern Japan, a story about betrayal and revenge and it's so violent it comes sealed." I smile my best "You are a complete asswipe get the fuck away from me" smile. Surely that will be all.
"Oh...these look pretty good. I'll grab the first two volumes."
"Awesome" I sigh, then quickly give him another smile.
"So...do you have any more of these stories?" he says conversationally.
"You mean Manga?" I say, ready with a copy of Crying Freeman in my hand.
"Well...anymore of these comic stories? with pictures?" he replies.
"You mean, comics?"
"Yeah, comics."
I stare at him, openly and with utter disbelief.

I never saw it coming.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker